Final Malmstrom JLUSThe Final Malmstrom JLUS has been published. The Final JLUS reflects changes made in response to comments provided by the Policy and Technical Committees and the public on the Draft JLUS published in October 2011.
To download the files that make up this version, click on the "Resources/Links" button on the menu bar above.
Malmstrom AFB JLUS
What is a Joint Land Use Study?
A Joint Land Use Study (JLUS) is a collaborative planning effort among the military and the surrounding communities, counties, municipalities, and stakeholders that is intended to offer voluntary guidance for land use and regulations with the goal of reducing potential conflicts between a military base and surrounding development.
What is the Malmstrom Air Force Base Joint Land Use Study?
The City of Great Falls, Cascade County and Malmstrom Air Force Base (AFB) have partnered to initiate the preparation of the Malmstrom Air Force Base Joint Land Use Study. The JLUS is being funded through a grant from the Department of Defense - Office of Economic Adjustment (OEA).
Malmstrom Air Force Base is located in Cascade County just east of Great Falls, Montana. This Joint Land Use Study is being conducted to address issues associated with the potential of future land use and development encroaching on the Base and the missile complex it operates. Since it is recognized that the operation of the Base affects, and is affected by, activity far beyond its perimeter fences, creating strategies to foster a responsive land use plan and regulations for the surrounding area is of very important to balance appropriate uses, economic interests, and military readiness.
This website is primarily navigated using the buttons arranged horizontally near the top of this page. They are:
- Home – this is the current page, which provides a summary of the project and its intended purpose.
- JLUS Overview – provides an overview of the JLUS project, project objectives and how the plan will be developed.
- Meetings – provides the schedule of meetings and information that has been distributed at Committee Workshops as well as Public Workshops. While the information presented at public workshops will be posted here, we encourage you to attend, if possible!
- Resources / Links – Includes the electronic library of draft documents prepared throughout the duration of the Malmstrom JLUS planning process. This part of the website also contains links to other useful reference materials.
- Contacts Us – Click the main menu (Contact Us) to get general information and contact information for Cascade County, the manager of the JLUS program and grant. The two submenus provide a listing of who is involved in the creation of the JLUS and how to send us a comment.
- Planning Team Members – Identifies the Policy and Technical Committee members that will guide development of the Malmstrom AFB JLUS.
- Comments – are always welcome. Click this menu item and drop us a note.
The documents contained in this website are posted as Adobe Acrobat® PDF files. This file type ensures that what you see is the same as the hard copy version. PDF files can be viewed using the Adobe Acrobat® Reader, which is typically installed on your computer. If you do not have the Acrobat® Reader, you may download it for free from the Adobe website by clicking the button on the left.
Depending on your system, your screen may not change while the file is loading. Click the "Back" button on your internet browser to return to this screen.